Media Relations Policy
Policy No: 03/15
Date Approved: September 23, 2015
The Regional Municipality of York Police Services Board (“the Board”) recognizes the importance of providing the public with timely and accurate information about its decisions, initiatives, services, policies and mandate in a manner that is responsive to the needs of the community.
Members of the Police Services Boards – Code of Conduct O. Reg 421/97, as 4-6.
This policy sets out guidelines under which members of the Board and Board staff are to conduct themselves as it pertains to the media.
It is the policy of the Board that:
The Board Chair shall be the spokesperson for the Board, unless otherwise specified.
- If the Chair is unavailable, the Vice Chair shall be the spokesperson for the Board, unless otherwise specified.
- The Executive Director may act as a spokesperson for the Board on matters of factual information, administration of the Board, communicating a decision of the Board, in an emergency or as otherwise directed by the Board.
- The Executive Director is responsible for informing local media of the board meetings date and times and news conferences held by the Board.
- Board members may communicate a decision of the Board; however, should a Board member publicly disagree with a position of the Board or comment on a matter not yet before the Board, he or she will clearly identify that they are speaking as an independent individual and not on behalf of the Board. Further, no Board members shall state that the Board has taken a position on a matter until the matter has been voted upon.
- When a media inquiry is made directly to a Board member regarding sensitive or confidential matters, the Board member will not comment but will advise the Chair or the Executive Director.
- Board members shall keep confidential any private or restricted information obtained in the performance of their duties.
- The Executive Director shall prepare and disseminate routine media releases.
- All other media releases shall be approved by the Chair prior to their release.
- Media releases shall be distributed to the Board members and posted on the Board’s website.
- News conferences shall be called only at the discretion of the Chair and Board members shall be advised prior to the event.
The Chair and/or Executive Director shall report to the Board on those circumstances where the breaches of procedure have resulted in circumstance which can adversely affect the Board.
Original signed on September 30, 2015.Back to Governance Policies