Public Complaints

Filing a Complaint

If you have a complaint against the police, you have the following options: 

  • you can file a formal complaint with the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD);  

  • Or you can go to a police station and try to have your question or complaint resolved informally by local resolution.  

For more information about filing a formal complaint with the OIPRD or by local resolution, please visit or call toll-free phone: 1-877-411-4773. The Complaints By-Law outlines the Board’s complaints process, including requirements and direction to the Chief of Police with respect to public complaints, local resolution, complaints against the Chief and Deputy Chiefs, complaints about the conduct of a police officer, and complaints about policies and police services.  

The Chief is required to report to the Board twice a year on public complaints.