Policy No. 03/00
Effective Date: October 25, 2000
Amended: March 27, 2002
It is the policy of the Regional Municipality of York Police Services Board (“the Board”) to encourage the participation of citizens in assisting the York Regional Police to solve crimes through the offering, from time to time, of rewards.
And further, it is the policy of the Board that all sums related to the offering and payment of rewards be made within the limits of the York Regional Police budget or are posted by a third party.
Policy requirements set out in this document shall form part of the Police Services Board Policy Manual and the Chief of Police shall comply with these requirements in directing the York Regional Police.
- The Board may offer a reward, from time to time and in such amounts as it approves, to be paid to any person who supplies information that results in the apprehension or conviction of any person found guilty of an offence or for information leading to the location or return of missing persons and property (“Information”).
- Prior to authorizing the payment of a reward, the Board shall determine that such sums of money are posted by a third party or are within the York Regional Police budget approved by Regional Council.
- A person wishing to post money to assist the York Regional Police in offering a reward to any individual who supplies Information shall:
- deposit the full amount of such reward money with the Board; and
- sign a release in a form satisfactory to the Boards’ solicitor indicating his or her consent to the release of all or any portion of the reward monies to any person that supplies Information. Such release of reward monies shall be at the sole discretion of the Chief of Police
- The Board shall first approve any advertisement, publication or notice respecting a third-party reward.
- Upon receiving the recommendation from the Chief of the Police, the Board shall determine whether or not a person is entitled to all or a portion of any reward offered for the supply of information.
- The Chief of Police shall not be required under any circumstances to disclose the name of the person or persons entitled to any reward money, except as required by the Board.
- The donor of such monies may apply to the Board for the release of such monies after the expiration of one year from the date when the reward monies were deposited with the Board.
- No person employed in the enforcement of law shall be entitled to claim any reward monies regulated in accordance with this policy.
- The Chief of Police shall provide the Board with annual status reports on rewards posted.